How to use the meta name "robots" tag
How do you explain a spider of a search engine you only want him to index just the first page of your website or he is allowed to index the whole website. You use the so called ROBOTS tag.
The robots meta tag is not the same as the file called robots.txt You should use these two together. Both are used by the seach engines like Yahoo and Google. If you use this meta tag the wrong way you might shut the search engines out. So the influence of this meta tag is significant.
<meta name="robots" content="selection">
Example meta tag robots
Add the following meta tag in the HTML source of your page:
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow">
- The spider will now index your whole website.
- The spider will not only index the first webpage of your website but also all your other webpages.
you are also allowed to type it like this:
<meta name="robots" content="INDEX, FOLLOW">
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="INDEX, FOLLOW">
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index follow">
By changing the index to no-index and the follow to no-follow your are able to influence the behaviour of the spider. If you don't want the search engine spider to crawl through your whole website you use the following meta tag :
<meta name="robots" content="index, nofollow">
- The spider will now only look at this page and stops there.
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">
- The spider will not look at this page but will crawl through the rest of the pages on your website.
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow">
- The spider will not look at this page and will NOT crawl through the rest of your webpages.
This metatag can also be typed with the / in the end of the tag:
<meta name="robots" content="index, nofollow" />
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow" />
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
Where do you add this robot tag?
You add this robot tag on the first index page and you tell the spider if you want your whole website to be crawled or not.
Make sure that on every page relevant meta tags are added. Add keywords and phrases that are relevant and correspond to the text and the language on that specific page. It might be a lot of work to add specific meta tags to each page but you will notice in time that it works!
Meta tags Summary - Important SEO things to remember
|We suggest that you use the Meta tags in your index.htm or index.html page. Than in all other important pages and last but not least in all the pages of your website. Make sure to put some extra effort in it, it will attract extra visitors to your webpage. Create relevant different meta tags for each and every page.
- Read why meta tags are important and how they affect the search engines.
- Use our meta tags generator to create the correct meta tags.
- Use our website analyzer to get professional advice from the meta tags experts.
- Submit your website to the search engines and choose one of our packages:
| Tags: meta, name, robots, meta tags, noindex, nofollow